CHARACTERplus offers low-cost membership in a collective of school districts that believe in a process powerful enough to transform school climate, creating caring, safe and academically successful learning environments. The process recognizes that with a deep understanding of character development and training in multiple research-based strategies, educators build the most effective communities of character. This is called The CHARACTERplus Way.
Members have unlimited access* to national experts, certification, evidence-based practices, research, skill training, climate survey tools, regular networking, and the Leadership Academy in Character Education for administrators. Each of these facets support the CHARACTERplus Way, the national standards for character education, and the process to becoming a state and/or national School of Character.
*Unlimited access means that adminstrators, school board members, faculty, support staff, parents, community partners and students (for certain workshops)are able to register for professional development offerings that involve no fees for them.
Reason for Services & Fee Structure (pdf)
500 - 10,000+ students
up to 500 students
The District Leaders Council
The Superintendents Council
What Makes It Work?
Goals and Results of Membership
Character Education Conference Scholarships [Summer 2011]: 1, 2 or 3 per district based on student population. Discounted fees for additional participants. – Contact Diane Stirling
Professional Development that
- is open to all members of the district community, including administrators, educators, support staff, parents, students, school board members and community members
- inspires and motivates (national experts and authors) Value: $150 per session
- deepens one's knowledge (Certification) Value: $150 per session
- teaches new skills with advanced training in bully prevention, curriculum integration, service learning, and methods tailored to elementary, middle and high school. Value: $75 or $150 per session
- Go to Calendar of Events for detailed information and directions
- Certification in Character Education:
- Basic Certification for all educators. Value: $450
- Advanced Certification for Administrators. Value: $5,150
- Click on the link above to view a list of educators with Basic and Advanced Certification.
- Leadership Academy in Character Education for Administrators.
This yearlong academy meets monthly as participants learn from national experts in 8 of the 11 sessions; apply the latest research, develop a comprehensive plan for their school, network with the other educational leaders in their cohort, and benefit from the insights and coaching of a direction who is a national leader in character education.
EVALUATION: Climate Survey, Analysis & Data-Based Planning Process
Available at close to cost ($600 per school)is an online climate survey process for students, parents and staff that measures students' sense of safety, belonging, autonomy and competence; staff culture; school leadership; parent-staff relationships; school quality and academic strengths; parent involvement and more. Learn more about the survey and timeline
FOR PARENTS: All workshops are open to parents. Archived columns aimed for parents on characer education designed to be placed in principal's newsletters click here